Washington State knows how to do Syrah. If you have any doubts to that fact, you weren’t lucky enough to be at the 10th annual Sexy Syrah fund raising event for Fare Start. Syrah may no longer be the signature Washington wine, but that is just because Washington excels in a number of varietals.
Last night, I had the privilege of serving as a judge for Sexy Syrah. It is a tough job, but 15 wine professionals answered the call of tasting and judging over 85 Syrahs and Syrah blends from all over Washington state. Vintages ranged from a 1997 library wine to barrel samples and the styles were just diverse. Washington Syrahs can range from silky elegance to big, bold and fruity to masculine leather and wood, and everything in-between. That diversity in Syrah styles was well represented in the wines tasted at Sexy Syrah, hosted by Seattle Uncorked and Salty’s restaurant. There were even three Syrah rosés and a sparkling Syrah to taste as well.
Here are the results from the judges:
Gold – Goose Ridge Estate Estate Reserve 2007
- Not released yet, this wine very limited and is only available from the winery.
- This sold out Syrah has intriguing anise notes.
Bronze -Woodinville Wine Cellars 2006 Reserve Syrah Columbia Valley
- A library wine, this was an excellent example of patience being rewarded. This wine is reaping the benefit of additional bottle time.
Gold -Cadaretta 2007 Windthrow
- Classic Rhone style blend of Syrah, Mouvedre, Counoise and Grenache, currently sold out at the winery
Silver Buried Cane 2007 Heartwood
- Second label for Cadaretta, I don’t have availability information on this value priced Rhone blend
Bronze Nota Bene Cellars 2008 Una Notte
- Gorgeous Grenache predominate Southern Rhone style blend.
The busy Seattle Uncorked volunteers were still calculating the people’s choice ballots when we left last night, but we will post those results as soon as they are available. Also stay tuned for Vivian’s full review of the 10th annual Sexy Syrah.
- Sexy Syrah winners Announced
- Sexy Syrah 2012 Review
- Sexy Syrah at Saltys
- Sexy Syrah and Eaton Hills Orange Muscat
- Debuts and Discoveries Report: New Washington Wineries to Watch