The 2010 Grape Cup pitched the UW Husky alumni wine makers against the WSU Cougar wine makers. Last year, WSU was victorious in the blind tasting by the judges panel. This year there were two types of judging: People’s Choice for favorite winery and the Referees scoring the best wine of the event.
People’s Choice for Favorite Winery
The people have spoken and the UW Husky alumni wineries scored more points than the WSU Cougar Alumni. UW Huskies win over all in the team competition by one point over the WSU Cougars. It was a WSU alumni winery, Smasne Cellars, that took the individual winery first place prize in the people’s choice division of Grape Cup 2010.
- Smasne Cellars (Cougar)
- Pandora Cellars (Husky) and Two Mountain Winery (Husky) (tie)
- Goose Ridge (Cougar)
Referee’s Call Best Wine
A panel of six judges (including me), dressed as referees, scored the wines on a 10 point scale. The points were tallied up and the WSU Cougars beat out the Huskies by only 1/2 point.
- Smasne Carmenére (Cougar)
- Pandora Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon (Husky)
- Skylite Cellars Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (Cougar) and Brian Carter Cellars Oriana (Husky)
Although the judges were different this year, the results are very similar to last year’s Grape Cup. In the 2009 Grape Cup, Skylite Cellars, Smasne Cellars, Brian Carter Cellars took the top prizes and the WSU Cougars won the team competition by a narrow margin. The Smasne Carmenére was third place last year but took top honors this year. The Washington State Cougars won by a razor thin margin this year in the team competition. Next year will it be the University of Washington Huskies turn to win the judges over?
- Grape Cup: UW vs WSU Wine Maker Smack Down
- Who Won First Annual Grape Cup? WSU or UW
- Gridiron Grape Style: UW vs WSU Battle over Beer and Wine
- Washington Wine Debut and Discoveries Award Winners
- Rosé Revival Results 2010