This is the time of year when people start searching for their hangover cures. The best way to cure a hang over? That is easy, prevent it.
Ways to prevent a hangover
- Drink moderately or volunteer to be the designated driver
- Gravitate to clear or lighter colored alcoholic beverages. According to research by Brown University, darker colored alcohol causes more severe hangovers than lighter colored alcohol. Darker colored alcohol has a higher level of chemicals called congeners. The more of these fermentation impurities in your glass, the more likely you are to get a hangover
- Drink plenty of water along with the alcohol. Dr. David Katz, director of the Yale Prevention Research Center suggests drinking a glass of water in between each alcoholic drink.
- Enjoy food with your beverage. While you body is busy taking care of the food in your tummy, it is also slowing down the absorption of the alcohol..
- Take a pain reliever before bed. Avoid an acetaminophen based pain reliever like Tylenol and Excedrin. Acetaminophen and alcohol both require a lot of work on the part of your liver so choose something like ibuprofen that won’t tax your liver as much.
- Take some B multi-vitamins before bed.
Ways to cure a hangover
Uh oh, now you have done it! You have waken up with a Sousa band playing in your head, the Sahara desert in your mouth and a cheer leading squad in your tummy.
- Drink water, many of those filthy hangover symptoms, especially the headache, is due to dehydration. Drink lots of water.
- Get in water, take a shower and hydrate yourself from the outside in. Many recommend alternating cold and hot water in that shower.
- Try a big glass of orange juice, bacon and eggs for your breakfast. The juice will replace some of the sugar and nutrients that were depleted while metabolizing the alcohol. The greasy breakfast coats and soothes that upset tummy
- If you are feeling too queasy for breakfast, go for a OJ-ginger ale mocktail for breakfast. Ginger can help combat the nausea.
- Try a sports drink like Gatorade to help replenish your body, avoid the energy drinks that contain caffeine
- Skip the morning caffeine. Caffeine dehydrates and that is the last thing your body needs right now.
- Physical exercise may sound excruciating, but it is actually an excellent way to significantly speed your hang over recovery. Work it out, sweat it out! Exercise helps the body rid itself of toxins. The increased circulation gets blood and oxygen to your oxygen-starved brain.
- Avoid the “hair of the dog”, at best it will just postpone the hangover symptoms.
Some of these remedies have been around for a long time, but that doesn’t make them any more palatable! For some of these, I think the relief comes from appeasing the guilt by suffering through the remedy.
- Slurping pickle or sauerkraut juice
- Mexican tripe soup (menudo)
- Vegemite on toast
- Banana milkshake
- Prickly pear cactus
- Tomato juice
- Kudzu extract
- Forcing yourself to vomit before bed
Looking for more ideas? Check out these links
Have a happy and hangover-free new year!