What do you think of when you think of wine blends? A classic Bordeaux blend? Maybe a proprietary wine blend, reflecting the winemaker? Or a kitchen sink blend of grape left overs? Columbia BLEND is a unique wine event, created to explore the mystery and beauty behind wine blends.
Last year, I used tapestries as an analogy for wine blends. Some people found it a helpful means of comparing single varietal and blend wines. This year, I wanted to use a very basic example to visualize how a wine blending can add more depth and interest to a wine. You can have a pure blue paint that that is pleasing or you can use blue, green, and teal paints to create a finish that is distinctly different and shows more depth. One is not necessarily better than the other, but most people will find that generally wine blends are more intriguing than straight varietal wines. Check out Doug Haugen’s Wino Magazine article on wine blends to learn more about the specific type of wine blends you will see at BLEND
Jamie Peha, of Peha Promotions, created BLEND last year to educate about and celebrate wine blends. Dawn attended a fantastic wine blending seminar last year called Celebrating the Art of Wine Blending. But what makes the Columbia BLEND event so unique is that it honors how wine amplifies experiences when blended into our lives. The Columbia BLEND brings together wine blends, great food and exciting places. You can read more about the inaugural BLEND at Blending up wine, food and fun at BLEND
Columbia BLEND 2011
The second annual Columbia BLEND takes place September 18, 2011 and brings new opportunities as well as returning favorites to appreciate wine blends.
- Washington wine blends from over 40 Washington wineries
- Barrel BLENDing stations where you get to learn and experience how some of Washington signature wine blends are created.
- International BLEND tasting tables sponsored by Wine World (sponsor) Taste classic wine blends from around the world.
- Bubble Lounge featuring sparkling wine, champagne and oysters courtesy of Taylor Shellfish Farms
- Gourmet bites from Columbia Hospitality Hotels and Resorts like Salish Lodge, Cave B, Inn at Langley and so many more
- The BLEND Awards – You decide the best BLEND of the day!
- Opportunities to win getaways to Salish Lodge & Spa, The Inn at Langley, Cave B Inn & Spa, Kenwood Inn and Spa and other Columbia Hospitality hotels
- Tell us about your favorite wine blend to win!
- Blending up Wine, Food and Fun at BLEND
- BLEND: Celebrating wine as a work of art
- Lucky winners celebrate wine blends
- Top Washington Wine Blends